As its name implies, the ‘A5D36 is a SoM based on the Atmel | SMART ARM Cortex-A5 SAMA5D36.
EMAC has launched the SoM-A5D36, a system-on-module that runs Linux on a Cortex-A5-based Atmel SAMA5D3 processor, and offers up to 4GB of Flash, industrial temperature, and an optional carrier board. The wide temperature, fanless ARM 536 MHz SoM features 10/100/1000 BaseT Ethernet along with up to six serial ports. Beyond that, the board boasts up to 16MB of serial data flash and up to 512MB of LP DDR2 RAM, as well as supports LCD and resistive touch interfaces.
This isn’t the first time the Atmel | SMART SAMA5D3 has experienced some love from computer-on-module (COM) vendors. In fact, the Cortex-A5-based SoC has shown up on the ShiraTech AT-501, the Acme Systems Acqua A5, and the MYIR MYC-SAMA5D3X — all of which except the Acqua A5 use SODIMM connectors.
Using the same small 200-pin SODIMM form factor utilized by other EMAC SoM modules, the SoM-A5D36 packs all the core ARM processor functionality, including Flash, memory, serial ports, Ethernet, I2S audio, PWMs, timer/counters, A/D, digital I/O lines, clock/calendar, and more. The SoM-A5D36 is also designed to plug into a carrier board that contains all the connectors and any custom I/O required for an application. This approach enables a user to design a custom carrier board that meets for I/O, dimensional and connector requirements without having to worry about the processor, memory and standard I/O functionality.
Key specs of the SoM-A5D36 include:
- Processor: Atmel | SMART SAMA5D36
- Up to 512MB LP DDR2 SDRAM
- 16MB serial data flash
- Up to 4MB eMMC flash
- Networking: Gigabit Ethernet PHY; optional 2x GbE
- Primary I/O:
- 3x USB 2.0 host (1x includes device support)
- 6x serial (4x defined) — 1x full, 3x RTS/CTS, 2x no handshake
- 2x I2C
- 2x CAN
- I2S audio
- 2x SD
- 22x GPIO
- Secondary I/O:
- 24-bit LCD controller
- 12-bit, 4-wire, analog resistive touch controller
- 2x CAN
- 2x SPI (“3 SPI CS”)
- 2x I2C
- 4x PWM
- 6x ADC (12-bit)
- 5x timer/counters, 3x prog. clock, RTC, reset, LEDs
- External address data bus
- Operating temperature: -40 to 85°C
- Power: +3.3V
- Dimensions: 67 x 60mm (200-pin SODIMM)
- Operating system: EMAC OE Linux
Interested in learning more? Head over to EMAC’s official page here.