The Manifold crew has designed an open source hardware platform capable of tracking real-time running cadence.
More specifically, key wristwatch specs include:
- Sparkfun Pro Micro (ATmega32U4 MCU)
- 850mAh lithium ion battery
- Power cell (Lipo Charger/Booster)
- SPDT mini power switch
- Monochrome 128×32 SPI OLED graphic display
- XBee 2mW PCB Antenna (Series 2)
Key footpod specs?
- Fio v3 (ATmega32U4 MCU)
- 110mAh lithium ion battery
- Force sensitive resistor
- Terminal block (2-pin 3.5mm)
- XBee 2mW PCB antenna (series 2)
“Striker will remain in the lab for now, but hopefully something like this will become more readily available for runners everywhere,” a Manifold rep by the name of Chad explained.
“As far as a custom solution goes, rather than inventing a watch to receive and display the cadence data it would actually make more sense to build an app for an existing watch platform. Then all you need is a footpod capable of detecting foot strikes and sending the data along using a communication protocol that the watch platform can speak like Bluetooth.”