Last month, Atmel introduced the SAM D20, a comprehensive product lineup based on ARM’s Cortex -M0+. The new microcontroller series combines the performance and energy efficiency of an ARM Cortex -M0+ MCU with an optimized architecture and peripheral set.
In short, the SAM D20 offers a truly differentiated general-purpose lineup that is ideal for a wide range of low-power, cost-sensitive devices, such as GPS trackers, appliance controllers, intelligent remotes and optical transceivers.
Key hardware specs include:
- 48MHz operation, 2.14 Coremark/MHz
- Single-cycle IO access, supporting a pin toggling frequency up to 24 MHz
- 8-channel event system
- <150µA/MHz, <2µA RAM retention and RTC
- Choose between internal/external oscillators and on-the-fly clock switching
- Up to eight 16-bit Timer/Counters, 12-bit 350ksps ADC and 10-bit DAC
- Peripheral touch controller (PTC) supports up to 256 channels
- Real Time Clock (RTC) and calendar with leap year correction
“Customers for our next-generation self-contained 9-axis absolute orientation sensor (BNO055) will benefit from the same high performance with lower power consumption,” said Dr. Stefan Finkbeiner, CEO and General Manager, Bosch Sensortec GmbH, a global provider of micro-mechanical sensors for the consumer electronics market.
“Atmel’s SAM D20 device optimizes Bosch Sensortec’s sensor fusion software at a level that was not previously possible.”
To be sure, the BNO055 is the first in a new family of Application Specific Sensor Nodes (ASSN) implementing an intelligent 9-axis “Absolute Orientation Sensor,” which includes sensors and sensor fusion in a single package. By integrating sensors and sensor fusion in one device, the BNO055 frees users from the complexities of multivendor solutions. This means more time can be spent on product innovation, including novel applications such as wearable hardware. It is also the perfect choice for augmented reality, more immersive gaming, personal health and fitness, indoor navigation and any other application requiring context awareness.