As we’ve previously discussed on Bits & Pieces, Atmel’s SAM4L is quite the versatile microcontroller (MCU), as it can be used to power a wide range of devices including glucose meters, game controllers, thermostats and remote process control nodes.
“Essentially, Atmel’s SAM4L lineup of MCUs redefine the power benchmark for Cortex-M4 processor-based devices, delivering the lowest power in active mode (down to 90µA/MHz) as well as sleep mode with full RAM retention (1.5µA) with the shortest wake-up time (down to 1.5µs),” an Atmel engineering rep told Bits & Pieces.
“Embedding Atmel picoPower technology, the SAM4L family provides highly efficient signal processing, ease of use and high-speed communication peripherals – all ideal for power-sensitive designs in the industrial, healthcare and consumer application areas.”
To accelerate development with the SAM4L, Atmel offers the SAM4L Xplained Pro, a hardware-based platform that allows engineers to more easily evaluate the ARM-powered SAM4LC4 MCU. Supported by the Atmel Studio integrated development platform, the kit provides easy access to various SAM4L features and explains how to integrate the device in a customer design. Like other Atmel Xplained Pro evaluation kits, the SAM4L Xplained Pro is capable of significantly expanding its original functionality by linking to additional Xplained Pro extension kits.
For a complete and ready to go package, engineers can also check out the ATSAM4L-XSTK starter kit, which is packaged with Atmel’s I/O1 Xplained Pro, OLED1 Xplained Pro, PROTO1 Xplained Pro and SLCD1 Xplained Pro extension boards.
Key SAM4L Xplained Pro specs include:
- SAM4LC4 microcontroller
- One mechanical reset button
- One mechanical user pushbutton (wake-up, bootloader entry or general purpose)
- One QTouch button
- One yellow user LED
- USB interface, host and device function (shared physical interface)
- 32.768kHz crystal
- 12MHz crystal
- 4 Xplained Pro extension headers
- One custom extension header for segment LCD displays
- LDO/Buck regulator mode selection
- LCD cluster power configuration option
- Embedded Debugger
- Auto-ID for board identification in Atmel Studio 6.1
- One yellow status LED
- One green board power LED
- Symbolic debug of complex data types including scope information
- Data Gateway Interface: USART, TWI, 4 GPIOs
- Virtual COM port (CDC)
- USB powered
- Supported with application examples in Atmel Software Framework
The SAM4L Xplained Pro can be purchased here from Atmel’s store.
Pingback: Big Data, IOT and M2M- What’s trending on Twitter?